Write the Story
After the player answers all of the questions, they’ll get to see their answers combined with the story. The story will also be stored in a variable using strings and then be combined with the strings holding the player’s answers.
Code the First String
- Make sure the playtest is stopped.
- Go back to the script by clicking on the StoryManager script tab above the game editor.
Reopening the Script
If you don’t see the script editor tab, you can re-open it by double-clicking on StoryManager in the Explorer window.
- Beneath where you typed the question, create a new variable named
story. Make sure the variable name is lowercase.
-- Code story between the dashes -- ============================================= local name1 = storyMaker:GetInput("What is your favorite name?") local story
- To find the first string, go back to the original story. Circle or highlight everything before the first placeholder. If your variable happens to be in the middle of a sentence, no problem - the rest can be added later.
|In a tree on a hill, lives the great wizard name1.|
- Have the
storyvariable store the string like below:
-- Code story between the dashes -- ============================================= local name1 = storyMaker:GetInput("What is your favorite name?") local story = "In a tree on a hill lives the great wizard "
- Remember that
local storyneeds to be lowercase because other parts of the game are looking for a variable with that exact name.
- The code will only show what you tell it to, so include a space at the end so the strings don’t run together like below:
"In a tree on a hill lives the great wizard "