You’ll use a variety of terrain tools to change the shape of the island, each step making the island slightly less square-like and a little more natural.
- Select the Add tool.
- Add creates land wherever you click or drag the blue cursor. Set the size and strength of the brushes really low to give you more control over the tool.
- Click and drag the blue cursor to create a natural island shape. Cover the hard edges of the square building area, and try to get rid of any straight lines. If you don’t like the results, press Ctrl + Z or ⌘ + Z .
- Next, select the Smooth tool. This will average out the highs and lows of terrain. Drag it around to make areas look more natural.
Check Terrain From Multiple Camera Angles
To better see what your terrain looks like, remember to rotate your camera and see terrain from multiple angles, not just always from the top.
|Move||W, A, S, and D.|
|Rotate||Hold the right mouse button and look around.|
|Pan||Hold the middle mouse button to drag your camera around|
- Remove unwanted terrain with the Subtract tool. This can be useful to quickly delete terrain that’s overtaken the city.
- Paint sand and mud on the edges to create beaches. Paint changes the texture without changing the shape.
Previous Customize the Map Shape Next Take the Challenge!