Making Avatar Clothing
Making Avatar Clothing
This article outlines how to make avatar pants and shirts, either for yourself or to sell in the catalog.
The easiest (but most limited) clothing design is a t-shirt which is basically an image applied to the front of an avatar’s torso. To make a t-shirt, create an image (ideally 512×512 pixels) and then
articles/game assets#images|upload it to Roblox.
Shirts and Pants
Unlike t-shirts, shirts and pants wrap all the way around an avatar’s body, giving you more design control. To get started, download the following clothing templates and draw your own art on top.
- Right-click these images and select Save Image As… to save the templates to your computer.
On each template, notice that the parts are "folded up" and wrapped around a Roblox character's body, arms, and legs. Here are the sizes for each template part:
|Shape||Size (width × height)||Clothing Parts|
|Large square||128 × 128 pixels||Front and back of torso|
|Tall rectangle||64 × 128 pixels||Sides of torso (R, L)
Sides of arms/legs (L, B, R, F)
|Wide rectangle||128 × 64 pixels||Top and bottom of torso|
|Small square||64 × 64 pixels||Top and bottom of arms/legs (U, D)|
Notes / Limitations
When applying clothing to
articles/roblox avatars|R15 avatars in Roblox, some limits exist with the templates. Here are a couple examples of how you should and should not design the shoes on a pants template.
To upload or sell certain items, you must first pay a fee. An upload fee is paid when an item is first uploaded, before it is moderated. A selling fee is paid the first time an item is marked “on sale” and becomes available for other users to purchase.
|Item Type||Cost||Fee Type|
|Shirt, Pants||10||Upload Fee|
|Hat, Hair Accessory, Face Accessory, Neck Accessory, Shoulder Accessory, Front Accessory, Back Accessory, Waist Accessory||750||Upload Fee|
Fee Details »
- An upload fee is not refunded if an item is rejected through moderation.
- An upload fee is refunded if an item's underlying mesh or texture is moderated (for 3D items like hats and accessories).
- A selling fee is only paid the first time an item is put on sale. After the initial payment, the item can be put on/off sale as many times as desired.
- An item with an upload fee can be put on/off sale without paying any selling fee.
Clothing can be tested without paying a fee as outlined below:
- In Studio, open the Plugins tab and click Build Rig.
- Choose a rig type from the popup menu. This should drop a “Dummy” avatar in your workspace.
- In the Explorer window, hover over the Dummy object, click the button, and insert either a ShirtGraphic (T-Shirt), Shirt, or Pants object according to your clothing type.
- Locate and select the new Shirt Graphic or Clothing object inside the dummy.
- In the Properties window, locate the associated property as follows:
- Click inside the property’s row and select the image you uploaded to Roblox. This should apply the clothing to the dummy avatar so you can see how it looks.
Once you’ve finalized and tested your design, you can upload the clothing item to Roblox.
- Go to the Create page.
- Click on either Shirts, Pants, or T-Shirts in the left column, depending on your design.
- In the main area of the window, click Choose File to select your template file. Remember that your image must be the exactly 585 pixels wide and 559 pixels tall or the upload process will fail.
- Type in a creative name for your item.
- Click the Upload button. Once approved by Roblox, the item will show up as one of your creations and can be applied to your avatar or offered for sale to other Roblox players.